Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Comet

Today=worst day ever. We are putting Comet to sleep at noon today.

I am going to miss him so much. The way he gives me hugs, and how he loves to play fetch. He was my best friend during my divorce, and kept me company when I was the most sad. He made me laugh by trying to carry the biggest stick he could find, 6 feet long and nearly as heavy as he was. And lately he has made me cry by being more and more aggressive towards me and Joey. He has always had a fear of children, and I had hoped that he would adjust to having Joey around. But I worry more and more as Joey gets closer to crawling, that Comet will bite him. We have always had to be watchful with him around my little brother, and I have never been able to have him out when my cousins have stopped by. It's not worth the risk.

This is the hardest decision I have ever had to make, and I feel like it could have been avoided. If I had tried harder at socializing him as a puppy, if I had educated myself about dog behavior when I got him rather than 3 years later. If I had stuck with dog training, maybe I could have changed his personality a bit. Who knows what kind of dog he would have been.

I know I will miss him more than anything, and I will always love him. I'm just so sorry that I failed him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just saw this...I'm so sorry. How are you doing?

Becky