It's been a rough week, and I need to think about something other than Comet.
So, I haven't told you about our gardens yet, lets talk about that instead!
Shane expanded our vegetable and herb garden this spring, I think it's about 25'x8' now. And I am shocked at how well it's doing this year! We have 12 red potato plants, 4 roma tomato (they are about 4 feet tall right now), red and green bell peppers, 2 kinds of onions, broccoli, cauliflower, and a Pumpkin plant that is taking over the whole thing. We have three large pumpkins that are just starting to turn orange, Shane thought it would be fun to grow Joey's first pumpkin. We just didn't realize the darn thing would get so HUGE!!
One end of the garden is all for my herbs, basil, oregano, thyme, chives, sage, and tarragon. I love having fresh herbs all summer, and I've been making a ton of basil pesto whenever it needs clipping. I've had to throw out oregano already, I have enough dried for the winter for us, we could never use as much as that one plant produces! Anyone else want some?
We also have a sunny flower garden out front that we are expanding soon, the plants spread quicker than we had expected and we need to space them out more. Plus we were given quite a few sun loving and shade loving plants from a neighbor. I couldn't believe out luck, we have this huge space under the big maple tree out back where we have wanted to plant a shade garden. But plants are expensive and we just haven't put it at the top of our list. A week ago a wonderful gal stopped by our house, she said she noticed our front garden, and she has a ton of plants to split and get rid of. We figured maybe a few hostas or something. But she actually gave us enough to do our entire shade garden, sun loving plants for our front garden, and some sedum to plant over the top of my spring tulips and crocus! Most of the plants are still pretty small, and we are hoping they survive this hot spell we are having. But I'm sure next year a lot of them will fill in and spread out and we will have one fantastic shade garden.
I would post photos, but I haven't uploaded any in about 3 weeks now. Kinda been preoccupied and busy around here!
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment