Over the past few months we have had such a rough time with Joey sleeping in his crib. He wouldn't stay asleep in there, and would rather sleep with us. We weren't sure about moving him into a toddler or twin bed, we weren't positive it would fix the problem. Plus, some kids don't adjust well, and I didn't like the idea of him being able to climb out of bed without me knowing. We also weren't looking forward to rearranging Joey's room for a bigger bed, and if it didn't work, having to put everything back. We had a trip planned to Kelly's Cabin over the 4th of July, and it just happened that we would be in the bedroom with a queen and a bunk bed. So we figured it would be great to try the twin bed there without having to move beds around at home.
What an AWESOME idea that was!
All three of us slept great for the first time in months! I would still rock Joey, and just before he was completely zonked out, I would lay in bed with him until he was asleep enough that I could leave. The morning after we got home from vacation, we set up his twin bed without a box spring (it was ruined in the most recent water leak in our basement, but it works better that way because the bed is lower to the ground), and he was positively thrilled with his own bed. He wanted us to lay down and pretend to go n'night with him all afternoon. So far we haven't had any issues with him rolling out of it, we have a safety rail to keep that from happening. If he wakes in the night, he will come get me in my room and I can almost always get him back to sleep quickly in his own bed. Of course, most of the time I pass out with him and don't move for two hours, but still! He has also been really good about coming to wake me in the morning. He can crawl up into our bed now, and there have been many mornings where I have been awakened by toddler fingers poking my eyes or nose.
At first I was a little sad to see his baby crib move out, 18 months is a pretty young age to be in a big boy bed. He's still my baby boy and it's hard to see him grow up even a little bit. But the extra sleep that we have all had has been well worth it.
Sunday, July 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
How exciting! Anything to get more sleep is fabulous. It is hard seeing our "babies" grow up, though. I always feel bittersweet about milestones like that, too.
Ron's favorite job is putting Sammy down for a nap. At first, I wondered why it took an hour for him to get Sammy down when it only took me 10 minutes. Then I realized the reason why he likes putting Sammy down so much, is HE gets to take a snooze, too.
Post a Comment